BCW Hump Day Adventure Story

To: <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: BCW Hump Day Adventure Story
From: "Dan Ray" <danray@bluegrass.net>
Date: Wed, 20 May 1998 18:36:37 -0500
    I knew if I drove my B every day this week for "British Car Week" I'd
have a story to tell.
    4:30 PM today, and the Kentucky skies became very angry looking. My B's
top frame is sitting in the den (I don't need no steeenking roof, ahem..).
    I was frantically finishing up the day's Evil-Mail, and looking out the
window...what better excuse to leave work early? "I gotta go folks! I drove
the MG today! Aaaaaahhhhh!!!!" and I ran out the door probably sounding and
looking as "cool" as PeeWee Herman...
    The wind was picking up as I ran to the car and frantically unsnapped
and unzipped the tonneaux: "I can make it. I can make it, no problem."...
    I hopped in and fumbled with the keys and seatbelt, while the wind
became, shall we say... intense. Lightning started flashing nearby, and that
unique SMELL of impending deluge hit my nostrils. Vroom Vroom, goes the B
("you're a stupid idiot, aren't you?", she was really saying)
    For reference, I live on post about 1 1/2 miles, one traffic circle
(like Piccadilly in London, but with 3 old tanks in the middle) and 3
traffic lights from the office....
    As I pulled out of the parking lot, a huge gust of wind filled with
debris and water struck my exposed head and the B...woohoo!!!! Instant wet.
Traffic light #1 go! yes! Speed up, headlights on, 2nd gear! Stay Dry!
(The roadster is actually pretty dry in a deluge with the tonneax over the
passenger side, until you stop)
    I started wondering if that old thing about cars being safe against
lightning applied to cars with no top or if lightning "looked" for a human
head to strike.
    Traffic Light #2, go! alright! Wipers on for the first time
ever...worked well for about 3 seconds and then the the three of them just
couldn't keep up with the rain. Knox Circle (zoom under the one tank's
muzzle)....watchout folks! I'm comin' through! Can't you see I'm topless?!!
Out of the circle....Oh no! "Hey you! In the pickup! what's the hold up? Ok,
so it's pouring rain, you gotta be so slow? Move it, man!" He couldn't hear
me, but he went slower anyway...Floppy old sunvisors are good raingutters,
did you know that? My impatient throttle blip was enough to evacuate the
collected water into my face.
    Traffic Light #3...RED...uhgg...well, at least it's not cold...I sit
back and peer through the opaque windshield for my right turn opening and
start humming "Singin' in the rain" like Fred Astaire..not really.
    Right turn...25mph zone and I'm doing 35...lights up ahead parked and
pointed my way...no! no! not an MP!...ah, whew!, just someone at the old
closed gas station taking shelter (hail was coming down just a tad)...One
left turn later and I'm pulling into the driveway...by this time soaked to
the skin on my upper body...race for the car cover and do the ritual of
laying it over my baby....
    I won't tell you what my wife's reaction was when I walked in.
    15 minutes later the storm had passed. I should have stayed and done
more work at the office. Right?

Dan
'73 B