priming the oil pump

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: priming the oil pump
From: "William C. Mills" <williem@mindspring.com>
Date: Wed, 20 May 1998 20:55:50 -0400
I am going to put a new oil pump on my '74 B engine.  I know to crank the
starter with the plugs out and the wires off until I see good pressure.
However, seems like I read about priming the oil pump by pouring oil into
the oil cooler hose connection at the rear of the block and spinning the
oil pump by putting an electric drill into the distributor drive. Can you
turn the oil pump by spinning the distributor drive on a B?  If so, what do
you chuck into the drill to act in place of the distributor drive dog and
which way should you spin it with the drill?  clockwise or counter clockwise?

Thanks for the help in advance, engine goes back in this weekend.

Bill Mills
'74 BGT