Re: Leakin bat'try

To: "Becky Mahoney" <bmahoney@home.com>
Subject: Re: Leakin bat'try
From: "Robert Allen" <boballen@sky.net>
Date: Thu, 21 May 1998 08:40:53 -0500
From: Becky Mahoney <bmahoney@home.com>

>On the subject of batteries...please don't throw anything at me for
>asking this...I have one 12V battery now and the SO is STRONGLY
>encouraging me to convert back to two 6V set up.  Says there is more
>storage capacity in two.  Lights will be brighter, will crank better..I
>believe I've seen some comments to the opposite.  Anyone care to clear
>this up for me?

The man is absolutely right, of course. Except for the details.

Nobody seems to make a decent 6 volt battery anymore. They gave up in the
60's. Just read the top of the battery for its CCA rating (Cold Cranking
Amps). The bigger the number, the more powerful the battery. When you're
looking at 6 volt batteries, as you are running them in series, you can't
double the value. Thus CCA ratings are directly comparable.

FWIW -- My C/GT, which has lots of internal friction always spins up fine
with a Group 26 so I wonder what it is you're trying to fix? A decent
battery, a good alternator, and clean wiring will do the job with an LBC,
won't it? If you're worried about uneven weight distribution, keep a 12 pack
in the cooler behind the driver.

I think Mike's battery tender idea is very good for cars not driven much.
Even crappy batteries will last a long time if they're excercised regularly.
Generators (as opposed to alternators) really suck on cars that aren't
driven at speed the majority of the time.

Bob Allen, Kansas City, '69CGT, '75TR6
"The word "politics" is derived from the word "poly", meaning 'many', and
the word 'ticks', meaning 'blood sucking parasites'." -- Larry Hardiman