A big drive for a little car, Finale

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: A big drive for a little car, Finale
From: Greg Kaufman <gregk@infolane.com>
Date: Thu, 21 May 1998 22:06:42 -0700
Herewith the final despatch in the story of the cross-country trip in an MG
Midget with pilots Reid Trummel and Mark Allen at the controls....

They made it!  Reid and Mark rolled into California Thursday afternoon
after covering 2,900 miles in the 1979 MG Midget, originating in Washington
DC and concluding in Castro Valley, California.  Wednesday they covered 657
miles, leaving Cheyenne, Wyoming, and arriving at Elko, Nevada.  Another
trouble-free day in a proud product of British Leyland!  Another dinner of
nachos and spirits refueled our adventurers, and Thursday morning they set
off on the final leg on the trip.

Thursday was an easy day, covering only 520 miles, but was punctuated by
the first and only snow flakes, completing the set of weather conditions
encountered during the trip: rain, hail, snow, and blazing sun.

Only one other LBC was observed during the journey: a Spitfire on I-80 on
Day 3.

Only one serious malfunction occurred: a fuel starvation problem on Day 1.

Two days were passed with the top down ("the hood lowered").  Fortunately,
the top was up when hail struck on Day 4.

Lunches consisted of Wendy's, McDonald's, McDonald's, and McDonald's.

Dinners consisted of nachos and adult beverages.

Fuel was always at least 91 octane (as per the owner's handbook).

The Midget ran great, holding 70 mph without a fuss.  Opening the heater
valve lowered the running temp dramatically, and there were no further fuel
boiling problems.

The look on my Daughters face when she saw her graduation present reminds
me of the excitement factor LBC's still hold. Here's to another generation
discovering the magic of these cars.

Bottom line: Drive British cars.  That's why we bought 'em, and why we love
'em.

Postscript: Reid is planning to drive a 1956 Austin-Healey 100M from
northern California to northern Idaho, taking three days for the trip,
beginning next Tuesday.  Just drive 'em.