B Suspension symptoms

To: <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: B Suspension symptoms
From: "Dan Ray" <danray@bluegrass.net>
Date: Sun, 24 May 1998 19:43:58 -0500
    I'm having a GREAT LBC driving weekend! Found a fun long way home via
these great back roads here in farm country. Alas, I've seen NOT ONE BC this
week, but that's not unusual around these parts.
    My B, I've noticed, seems to have a bit of a "squat" in the rear, and
the more I drive her spiritedly, the more I'm thinking replacing the rear
springs would have an effect. I've seen many posts on this and most seem
pleased with the results. Boy, she sure skits to the side when I hit a bump
in a turn! That's not fun.
    Are these sure signs that the leaf springs are tired? I've inspected
closely and see no cracks, although the rubber parts are looking sorry too.
The shocks are holding their own so far as the "bounce test".
    Where should I start? Springs (GT, right?) or shocks (convert to tubes)?
I can't afford to do the WHOLE suspension at once (gonna get a top soon
too), and I'd actually be interested in seeing the results of a progressive
upgrade (and passing them along).
TIA
Dan
'73 B