Re: Progress Report

To: Philip Hubbard <phubbard@carroll.com>
Subject: Re: Progress Report
From: Rick Brown <mgrick@ptd.net>
Date: Sun, 24 May 1998 20:01:08 -0400
Philip Hubbard wrote:

> A quick progress report on my 1974 Midget.  Went to emissions on Saturday
> morning at 7:30am not giving myself much chance.  I was right.  Not even
> close.  My friendly mechanic just told me to tweak and come back.
>
> Took the car up to MG T's run by Rob Medynski.  This guy is a gem.  Knows
> his MGs hands down and very, very reasonably priced.  If you are near
> northern NJ (W. Milford) and need to go to the pros, see him.  Anyway, Rob
> told me my carbs really weren't in that bad a shape (yeah!), but he found
> an air leak.  Turns out the intake manifold was bowed...badly.  Got a new
> manifold which cured two problems - car no longer runs rough as a cob and
> now my bonnet clears the air filters.  At least I think this is the reason
> for the latter improvement.  For whatever reason, I'm grateful.
>
> No time to get back to emissions, but that can come next Saturday.  I don't
> have an air pump on this though so I'm advised to retard the dist cap, lean
> out the carbs and idle up a tad.  Hehehe, who knows.  I've just got to pass
> this one time as next year I can register as a historic vehicle and be exempt.
>
> No progress on the fuel fumes though as I ran out of time with Rob.
>
> Thanks to all who suggested fixes for my problems.  More probs in a
> following post.  :)
>
> Philip
> Burgundy 1974 Midget

Phil

Have you checked that the hoses are connected to the vapor separator
(think thats what its called ) in the trunk.  Its that little circular
doo dad on the inner right rear fender in side the trunk.  If those
hoses are bad or not connected you will get a bad fuel smell inside the
car.  Check it - cant hurt.

Rick

<http://home.ptd.net/~mgrick>