Ignition Switch wiring

To: "MG List" <Mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Ignition Switch wiring
From: "Mike Lishego" <mikesl@tartan.sapc.edu>
Date: Wed, 27 May 1998 00:29:39 -0400
howdy listers,
    My MGB was fitted with a DPO-special push-button ignition switch.  The
factory ignition switch will activate normally, but when turned the entire
way forward to start the car, nothing happens.  The car is a '74, and to my
best guess, the DPO ripped out the infamous "Smith's Ass Sensors" then found
the car would not start.  To rectify (rectum-fy?) the situation, he fitted a
push-button under the steering cowl, with one wire running from the fuse
box, and one wire running to the starter relay.  Looking at my wiring
diagram, I was able to discern that, if the original wiring is uncorrupted
other than the Ass Sensors, the original ignition switch could be made
functional again.
    Here's what I've got so far:  The brown wire is fused and supplies the
factory ignition switch with power all the time - it is the wire in the
center of the switch - that means my DPO wire from the fuse box can be
removed.  (Obviously the brown wire is still supplying power or I would get
nothing at all when I turn the key to any position.)  Given that the
ignition switch is just that, a switch, which factory wire should I attach
to the DPO wire to the solenoid so I complete the circuit when I turn the
key all the way forward?  There is a white wire with a red tracer, a white
wire with a green tracer, a slate wire, and maybe one more wire that is on
the rear of the ignition switch.
    Which of these wires do I need to connect my DPO wire to?  I've tried
following the chart in the Haynes manual, but I'm not 100% on the original
wire of choice.  I didn't want to randomly attach wires and cause a fire, so
if anyone with wiring knowledge would help me out, I'd be appreciative.
    One last thing - in the steering wheel column, there is a lavender wire
with a pink tracer that is doing nothing.  It has a female spade connector
on it's end, and I can't seem to find any place to connect it to.  Can
anyone help me out with this?
    Thanks in advance - you guys and gals are lifesavers!

Michael S. Lishego
http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/Speedway/3706/