Re: Ignition Switch wiring

To: mikesl@tartan.sapc.edu, Mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Ignition Switch wiring
From: DANMAS <DANMAS@aol.com>
Date: Wed, 27 May 1998 11:36:45 EDT
In a message dated 98-05-27 00:09:47 EDT, mikesl@tartan.sapc.edu writes:

> Here's what I've got so far:  The brown wire is fused and supplies the
>  factory ignition switch with power all the time - it is the wire in the
>  center of the switch - that means my DPO wire from the fuse box can be
>  removed.  (Obviously the brown wire is still supplying power or I would get
>  nothing at all when I turn the key to any position.)  Given that the
>  ignition switch is just that, a switch, which factory wire should I attach
>  to the DPO wire to the solenoid so I complete the circuit when I turn the
>  key all the way forward?  There is a white wire with a red tracer, a white
>  wire with a green tracer, a slate wire, and maybe one more wire that is on
>  the rear of the ignition switch.

Mike,

Maybe I can help.  First of all, just for the record (and maybe to prevent a
meltdown later), the brown wire is NOT fused.  If you find a fuse in the brown
wire circuit, it is a fuse FROM the brown wire TO the other circuit.

The white/red wire is the one you need to connect to the starter relay.  From
the factory, this wire went to the seat belt module, and a yellow/pink wire
went from there to the starter relay.  The slate wire is for the anti-run on
valve.  The white/green wire goes to an in-line fuse, after which it becomes a
green/pink wire, and feeds some of the accessories that operate only when the
key is on.  The white wire goes unfused to the coil and to a fuse.  After the
fuse, the wires are green, and feed the remaining accessories that are on only
with the key on.

>      Which of these wires do I need to connect my DPO wire to?  I've tried
>  following the chart in the Haynes manual, but I'm not 100% on the original
>  wire of choice.  I didn't want to randomly attach wires and cause a fire,
so
>  if anyone with wiring knowledge would help me out, I'd be appreciative.

Connect the white/red to the starter relay, either to the W1 or the W2
terminal.  One of these "W" teminals will go to ground -- you will connect to
the other one.  W1 and W2 are interchangable as far as the relay goes.  The
relay operates when one of the W terminals is grounded and the other has 12
volts on it.  The other terminals, C1 and C2, are connected together when the
relay is energized.  These two terminals are also interchangable -power to C1
and C2 to the load, or power to C2 and C1 to the load.

If you wish to rewire the car to the original configuration, more or less,
connect the white/red wire to the yellow/pink wire at the seat belt module,
and reconnect the yellow/pink wire to the starter relay.  I don't know off
hand if you have to, but it would be a good idea to disconnect the yellow/pink
wire from the module when you do this.

>      One last thing - in the steering wheel column, there is a lavender wire
>  with a pink tracer that is doing nothing.  It has a female spade connector
>  on it's end, and I can't seem to find any place to connect it to.  Can
>  anyone help me out with this?

Ray Wygonik and the TRF techies are correct in that this wire is grounded in
the ignition switch, but its original usage was for the seat belt interlock
module only.  Since it's there, though, you can use it for other purposes if
you ever want to switch an accessory through the ground lead.

Hope this helps!

Dan Masters,
Alcoa, TN

'68 MGBGT---organ donor for the '74