Re: High/Low Beam Headlight Switch

To: mgs <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>, "Gary A. Graham" <ggraham@edcen.ehhs.cmich.edu>
Subject: Re: High/Low Beam Headlight Switch
From: Douglas McKinnie <mup1dm@surrey.ac.uk>
Date: Wed, 27 May 98 12:13:18 +0100
Gary A. Graham wrote
>I have no high beam headlights in my 74B. The wiring is ok at the front
>end of the car and I've traced the problem back to the turn signal/high
>beam flash/high-low beam column mounted switch. I now have two options:
>become a DCO* and fit an off/on switch for the high beams somewhere or
>replace the column-mounted switch.
Ideal is to replace the sitch with new, but this is not what I did.
I removed the switch, bent the sagging contacts to be in the right
places, and did a general cleaning of the contacts using contact
cleaner and half of an emoryboard (those sandpapery things used to
sharpen fingernails) split lengthwise.

The problem is oxidation, and any used replacement will suffer from
some level of oxidation as well. If you clean up the switch that you
have you will (for a time) restore the performace of the switch to
near what it was when it was new.

(Of course, if you don't have an overdrive you could always use the
right hand stalk for your high beams)

Douglas McKinnie