Re: Distributor (vacuum advance) trouble! long but important!

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net, jroverca@tiac.net
Subject: Re: Distributor (vacuum advance) trouble! long but important!
From: Matt Kulka <Matt.Kulka@hboc.com>
Date: Thu, 28 May 1998 15:00:09 -0400
When I pulled my motor, I knew already that the vacuum advance on my 25D
simply didn't.  I called all the usual suspects trying to find a new
one, and was turned down by each and every one.  When I took the
distributor apart, I found my centrifugal advance springs were shot, and
though I didn't measure it, I'm sure I had enough slop in my shaft
bushing to squeeze a small child through.

The moral I'm trying to get at is, if your vacuum advance is thrashed,
and your distributor is old enough to be a 25D, check the rest of it out
while you're in there.  It may need more than is obvious at first
glance.

For the record, I couldn't get a vacuum advance, no one can get
centrifugal advance springs, and I would have had to hire a machine shop
to install the new bushing.  I ended up buying a new 45D.  As a bonus, I
got what is claimed to be a "Eurospec" advance curve - purported to have
a little more power at the expense of a little more smog.

I hope you don't have to go that far, but if you got 25 years out of the
first distributor, it may be worth investing in another.  The 45D's are
supposed to be a little more durable.  And some parts are still
avalaible for them.

Best of luck.

Matt Kulka

'74 B - not very advanced, but definitely needing a vacuuming.

>>> "RossOvercash" <jroverca@tiac.net> 05/28/98 10:33am >>>
Well while removing the points I noticed that the Moving plate in
the dizzy moves but doesn't spring back!  Upon closer inspection I
notice a
spring that leads from the vacuum advance and should be attached to said
plate is broken right at the little stud it should attach too!