RE: MGA Tranny, front seal Qs

To: "'Bill Eastman'" <william.eastman@medtronic.com>
Subject: RE: MGA Tranny, front seal Qs
From: "Unger, Larry G" <larry.g.unger@lmco.com>
Date: Fri, 29 May 1998 14:36:43 -0400
Bill Eastman wrote:

> I am taking apart the tranny- 1600 Ml1 with bolt on u-joint
> yoke-  and I am having a little problem on the step "gently
> lift the tail shaft housing off over the 3rd motion shaft."
>  It seems that the ball bearing has gotten real cozy with the
> tail shaft and won't let go.  Any suggestions?  I tried
> a gentle wrap with a 2 by 4 on the tail shaft but no luck.

Ah ... been there done that ... make sure that you have all the
bolts, nuts, and shift linkage removed (as outlined in the
workshop manual), then rap the end of the third motion shaft
when an air hammer ... the housing will pop right off.

I prurchased a tranny in a similar state ... DPO had bludgened
the tail shaft housing (where the gear shift extention bolts on)
with a BFH trying to remove it, then gave up an sold it.

Safety Fast! ... larry.g.unger@lmco.com
'61 MGA 1600 MkII