Re: MGA Tranny, front seal Qs

To: william.eastman@medtronic.com, mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: MGA Tranny, front seal Qs
From: AEKell@aol.com
Date: Sat, 30 May 1998 07:39:22 EDT
Bill,

RE. felt seal.  Yes Moss claims to provide it in the kit.  No they don't.
Bought a gasket set for a "B" which had no front oil seal included.  Bought
one for the "A" and it had the "B" seal.  I advised Moss for what it's worth.

Being both the current andDPO of my '57 (had it that long , skills and
knowledge improving),  and recently having seen the inside of my timing chain
cover, I can tell you that the DPO belived the part around the seal was
removable while the current owner knows better.  Since time and season are
pressing, I carefully removed the existing felt seal , soaked it in oil and
tried to reshape it to reduce the i.d. to approximately correct size on the
theory I could do no harm and it would not let out any more oil than it had
last year which was livable.  I was disapointed that I did not receive the
correct seal, but it's time to get driving.

Alan