Re: Front suspension alignment

Subject: Re: Front suspension alignment
From: Steve Bettencourt <steveb5815@edgenet.net>
Date: Mon, 01 Jun 1998 08:37:24 -0500
At 01:16 PM 5/31/98 -0400, "Mike Lishego" <mikesl@tartan.sapc.edu> wrote:
>Hello all,
Hi Mike,
You may have to slightly heat the pivot so it will rotate on the kingpin.
On my '79 the right side move w/ no problem but the drivers side was tight.
A little blue wrench fixed it.
BTW-I moved mine because the original rubber bushings were totally wiped
out and the polyurethane doesn't tolerate the misalignment that was present.

<snip>
>  The problem is the shock mounting holes - the shock itself
>sits about two inches towards the front of the car.  No amount of pulling or
>pushing can get the #$%@ thing to line up either.  I've tried lowering the
>car up and down with the jack, turning the wheels, etc, all for naught.
>Nothing in the suspension is bent, as far as I can tell.
>    Has anyone run up against this problem before?  I tried to loosen the
>nut atop the kingpin to see if there is any adjustment, but it is frozen in
>place and currently soaking in liquid wrench.  Any help would be
>appreciated, as I am prepared to hook a come-along to the shock and yank it
>into place though I'd rather find a peaceful solution.  Thanks again!
>Michael S. Lishego
>http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/Speedway/3706/

Steve Bettencourt
'79 MGB