Re: rocker switches

To: bmahoney@home.com
Subject: Re: rocker switches
From: bk996@freenet.carleton.ca (Eric R. Stephen)
Date: Mon, 1 Jun 1998 09:21:08 -0400 (EDT)
***********************************
Becky:  Here is an article I wrote for the Ottawa MG Club newsletter. If
the switches on the B have recessed areas that can be refilled with paint
then you can have a set of switches that look great with justa couple of
hours work.

Here is a simple and low cost method for restoring your dash knobs to "as
new" condition.  The idea came from a description provided in A-Antics
Tech Tips published by the Michigan Chapter of NAMGAR.  The materials
listed in the original article were not available locally.  The materials
listed below are all available at most hardware outlets.

Remove and clean knobs with a good detergent.  Scrape the dirt
deposits from the recessed letters with a pin or needle.  Apply model
enamel to the recessed letters and allow to dry completely.  I used white
(Testors #1145), for all the knobs except the dash light dimmer which
required red (Testors # 1103).  Sand off the excess paint flush to the
surface of the knob  using 600 grit wet/dry sandpaper.  Polish the knob to
a rich black luster using a Dremel polishing wheel (#429) attached to a
mandrel (#402) and Dremel polishing compound (#421).   The end result is
quite amazing.  The knob set from Moss is $35.00 US and the shifter knob
is $12.00 US.  My materials came to approximately $15.00 Canadian and I
have OE parts that look like they came right off the shelf!

...Hope this works for you.

--
         ' ' '          Great is the truth and mighty above all things;
      (  o   o )        It endureth and is always strong;