Pinnacle of the Marque, or A vs.B ,a personal history

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Pinnacle of the Marque, or A vs.B ,a personal history
From: AKBLACKLEY@aol.com
Date: Tue, 2 Jun 1998 08:50:58 EDT
Well, this is indeed a highly subjective topic, and an excellent case can be
made for the TC (the best prewar design made in the post war years), the TF
(the best traditional square rigger), the A (the bridge from the past to the
modern era, using a beautiful Lemans inspired body) and finally the B, the
most modern car and in 62 very much the best affordable English sports car
(IMHO).
To Mr. Eastman and others A owners: I do indeed appreciate the A, having owned
a 59 Rdstr and a 59 Coupe. I was a Triumph lover (still am...) until I helped
a friend put a clutch in his 57 Rdstr. I got to test drive it around and fell
in love. I sold my TR4 and bought the Coupe soon after. Alas, a year later a
good deal on a 66 XKE 2+2 came along and the Coupe was sold. After college I
had a 59 Rdstr. that I partially restored and drove around the hills of SW
Virginia, even commuting from Blacksburg to Roanoke in it! But I got a job
with the Army as a civilian engineer and went to Italy for 3 years. I
regretted that I didnt bring that car with me, but was duly compensated by the
luxury of cheap Alfas!
When I returned to the MG fold again last year (I sold a 73 B rstr. in 92 to
buy a Land Rover) I choose the B because it was cheaper than any  A in
comparable condition, and would be more useful as a daily driver. My 69 will
be my daily driver in the good months and my 83 Range Rover (4 sp. grey market
import) my winter car. I like just about any LBC in summary. A sickness
perhaps. Here hoping we dont all recover any time soon. Cheers, Andy Blackley