Re: The little Midget that really wants to....

To: Tyson Sherman <tsherman@tecinfo.com>
Subject: Re: The little Midget that really wants to....
From: Chuck Schaefer <crschaef@mc.net>
Date: Tue, 02 Jun 1998 09:02:22 -0500
Tyson Sherman wrote:

> Back to working on the ill 72 Midget....
>
> In order to work around the problem with the tranny stuck in reverse
> (although the shift lever reads neutral), I raised the back tires off
> the ground to spin the car on the starter.  All went well with the
> engine, tranny, driveshaft, axle and wheels spinning on the starter with
> no resistance.  Oil pressure came up (with fresh oil) - this car was
> last legally driven in 1993.
>
> I managed to get a spark after replacing the coil.  The
> points/condenser/rotor/cap are still old (can't source locally).  One
> problem is that the carbs (HS2s) are leaking gas from the air chambers
> (air cleaners not installed) and from the float chambers.  That would
> probably prevent starting.
>
> Then I started messing with the shift lever and jammed it in gears and
> now the starter will no longer spin the assembly.  My theory is that the
> tranny is always in reverse, and by putting it in a forward gear, it's
> trying to go both ways and the starter won't spin it.  The starter
> indeed won't spin the motor anymore.  It just jerks.
>
> I'm meeting with a man locally tomorrow with several junked Spridgets to
> get a tranny perhaps.  What should I do about the SUs until then.  I'm a
> dummy when it comes to carbs/ ignition sortof.  My 76 B has electronic
> ignition / single stromberg.
>
> Help w/the Sus (and tranny too) is greatly appreciated.  Thanks!!
>
> --
> Tyson Sherman
> http://www.tecinfo.com/~tsherman
> 76 MGB (driver but has broken OP relief valve)
> 74 1/2 MGB/GT (waiting on a key)
> 73 Midget (waiting for me to learn to weld)
> 72 Midget (with the aforementioned problems)

Tyson,
Try rapping on the float bowls with the wrong end of a screwdriver. The
float needle valve has a tendency to stick ope if it isn't given the
appropriate amount of attention (i.e. daily use). If not, open the float
chambers up and clean out the varnish that has formed.

As for the trans, I can't help. Don't know about the Midget. I bought a
VW once that was always in 5th gear and also whatever gear you selected.
Acted the same way you describe. After opening it for inspection,
decided to replace the whole thing. Before you spend for a new(used)
tranny, open the side cover, if it has one, and make sure that the
selector levers are in tact and in the groves of the gears. They could
have broken the tabs on one of the selectors and cant remove it fronm
that gear.

Oh, by the way, don't forget to drain the trans before opening it up.

Good luck

Chuck Schaefer
61 MGA coupe
56 MGA roadster