Re: Adding to My Scrap Heap

To: GW71MGB@aol.com, mgs <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: Adding to My Scrap Heap
From: Jeff Fayne <fayne@ibm.net>
Date: Wed, 03 Jun 1998 19:07:42 -0500

GW71MGB@aol.com wrote:

> Well, I've started in on replacing the driver's (left over here) sills.  And
> the the floor pan.  My pile of metal I've cut out is growing daily, partially
> thanks to some inadequate patch jobs done by some of my '71 B's previous
> owners (up to three layers of floor in some places).
>
> Anyways, my question is in regards to the front spring hanger assembly.  How
> and to what would this be attached in a factory fresh car?
>
> -gary
>
> '71MGB and a pile of parts...

Just finished doing this on my '70 MGB.

The front spring hanger (actually 3 pieces make up the hanger) is attached to
two
body parts. The rear half of the hanger is attached to what I believe is called
the heelboard. It's the vertical bulkhead behind the seats. The front half is
attached to the heelboard extension. The heelboard extension is sandwiched
between the hanger and the floorboard and is also attached to the heelboard and
inner sill. The heelboard extension is the piece that usually rusts away and is
fairly easy to replace.The Practical Classics MGB-GT Restoration book
illustrates
the replacement nicely.

 The first thing you'll need to do is to remove the floorboard around the
extension in order to get a chisel between it and the hanger. It's probably not
needed, but at this point I took a bottle jack and used it to support the rear
bulkhead. I had visions of the hanger bending the heelboard under the weight.

Drill out the spot welds that attach the floor to the extension to the hanger.
CAREFULLY, chisel the extension/floorboard away from the hanger. You don't want
to damage the hanger itself. If you cand find all the sopt welds and use a big
enough drill bit, it should peel away rather easily. Grind or chisel the what
still remains of the extension from the lip on the heelboard and the inner sill.

Prepare the new extension piece by drilling holes where it contacts the hanger.
Clamp and spot weld to the hanger using these holes. Seam weld to the heel
board/inner sill lip. Be sure to grind the welds where the new floorboard will
lay on top of the extension. Drill holes in the floor where it will contact the
extension and weld.

Again, the Practical Classics covers this better than I can describe.

Hope this helps,

Jeff