Major coolant loss!

To: <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Major coolant loss!
From: dereck.carey@cdsi.com
Date: Fri, 05 Jun 98 10:22:34 -0500
     My girlfriend's car, not a MG (imagine it is), is losing lots and lots
     of coolant everytime it is driven within the first 15 minutes.  Here
     are the steps I have taken so far.

     1  Refill the coolant everytime!
     2  Replaced thermostat with lower temp unit
     3  Checked to see if electric fan kicks in.
     4  Replaced the upper hose and Radiator cap.
     5  Emptied a full bottle of Barr's into radiator (1/2 at a time)

     After each of these steps I refilled the system and the same result.
     Loss of half of the radiator fluid.  This last time after applying
     Barr's wonder mix the system was so dry that a vacuum occurred strong
     enough to collapse the upper and lower hoses and making it difficult
     to remove the cap (looked like someone sucking all the air out a
     drinking straw).  I never noticed any excessive smoke from the rear of
     the car, however this is a small displacement engine (not much exhaust
     when normal).  I did notice a teaspoon of water in the exhaust pipe.
     All this and there is no water in the oil.  I plan on doing a pressure
     test next.

     Is the head gasket shot?
     Is the cylinder head cracked (vacuum, clean oil)?
     Other ideas?
     Anyone have experience replacing the head gasket on a 94 Geo Metro?
     :(

     Thanks for the help.  Bye Bye weekend!

     Dereck

     70 MGB (desperately waiting to be worked on)