Fulcrum Pin Progress

To: spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Fulcrum Pin Progress
From: Philip Hubbard <phubbard@carroll.com>
Date: Sat, 06 Jun 1998 13:51:27 -0400
Aha!  Success at last.  The fulcrum pin nut is off!  I got it split with
the nut splitter and then used hammer and screwdriver to open it up and
slid it off.

The fulcrum pin itself is being beastly to get out.  I can't seem to be
able to get a pry device behind it to pry it out.  I do have the washer out
of the side with the split nut.  Problem is that earlier I messed up the
threads just enough that I can't get the nut from the other side screwed on
so that I could pound on it with a hammer.

Is it worth trying not to mess the fulcrum pin up anymore.  The threads
look pretty good for the most part and I was hoping that if I don't mess it
up any further that I could take it to get rethreaded once I got it off the
car.  If that is just a vain hope, I could bang on it all day not worrying
if I caused further damage.  That ought to help get it off.  :)  Another
thought.  Do they make small hand held rethreaders?  If so, I could
rethread the beginning of the bolt while still on the car, thread an old
(non-split) nut on enough to protect the bolt and then bang on it with the
hammer.  The bummer is that if I don't get it out without ruining it, I'll
have to put the whole job off until I get a new fulcrum pin as I doubt
very, very much that I can find one locally.  I'd rather not do that
because the car is out in the driveway and I'd much rather be leaving it in
the garage at night.

BTW, this is the side with no bushings so I don't think it's a problem with
the bushings being frozen in the a-arm.  The bolt could be rusted in there
though.  I've been using Liquid Wrench liberally.  :)

Thanks,
Philip
1974 Maroon Midget

PS  I am learning a lot through this process so it's not for nothing.