Re: Restoring the BGT

To: <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>, "David Councill" <dcouncil@imt.net>
Subject: Re: Restoring the BGT
From: "Dan Ray" <danray@bluegrass.net>
Date: Sat, 6 Jun 1998 19:37:14 -0500
David,
First, it's true, if you have the $$$, spend it on a well restored version.
For a B, you could probably find one on the order of $7K. Second, MGs are
NOT "easy" to find in the Southwest, at least from what I found on my
initial quest. TX is rife with rust-free old muscle cars and beautiful
pickups, but those little furrin things just aren't sitting in barns under
blankets. Those that have them aren't selling -- they know what they
have --this is just my experience.
I found an excellent example after I moved east to KY, in Nashville, but to
get it to trophy winning status, as solid as it is, will cost another
$4-5K...well, it just won't happen with me as the owner, I enjoy driving it
too much and am not willing to let her go down for a "frame-up". That would
be silly, my car is for driving, and is running well. I'll respray the outer
shell, and fix the other cosmetics.
Rust just doesn't happen in AZ, where I'm from, but I wouldn't count on the
"easy to find" part.
If you CAN find a good car there, fine, but it won't cost any less in the
SW.
In other words, the big country down south isn't great for finding the gems.
Most MG owners know what they're worth. You'll find one at a dealer, sure.
But from Montana, go East or West, to the populated places. Unless you get
an inside line from a native down there, of course. :)
Just my experience.
Dan
'73 B, sat in a barn in tennessee for 12 years...just fine