Re: Top Speed/Carb Update

To: "Michael Graziano" <mgrazian@ltcm.com>,
Subject: Re: Top Speed/Carb Update
From: "Robert Allen" <boballen@sky.net>
Date: Mon, 8 Jun 1998 10:40:26 -0500
-----Original Message-----
From: Michael Graziano <mgrazian@ltcm.com>

>Car:  '78 RB Midget with a single ZS carb and the 1500 engine.
>
>Symptoms:
>
>1. 55 mph at 4500 rpm in 4th gear on highway
>2. hesitation at low rpms (getting started)
>3. misfires even though the correctly gapped plugs are in good shape
>4. slight smell of gas out the exhaust
>5. heavy soot deposits on the air cleaner right outside the entrance
>   to the carburetor (I turned it and placed a clean piece over the
>   entrance and it soot up relatively quickly)
>6. Rough idle below 1200 rpms

I don't have much to offer. Some other stuff to check:

1) Float level is spot on
2) Aftermarket fuel pump? I'd be leary of too much fuel pressure.
3) Do a compression check to make sure motor is okay.
4) Check vaccuum hoses to make sure the advance/retard on carb is routed
correctly.
5) Make sure the choke enrichener does not stay on

>Additionally,  I'm waiting for my ZS carb wrench from Moss.

long, 1/8 inch allen wrench will work if you can wedge the piston to keep
from turning.

Bob Allen, Kansas City