Re: Midget Window Winders

To: "mike cook" <mpcook@highaltitude.com>, <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>,
Subject: Re: Midget Window Winders
From: "Steve Byers" <byers@cconnect.net>
Date: Mon, 8 Jun 1998 17:35:13 -0400
Hello, Mike!
Removing the panel is the only way to lubricate the window mechanism..

Removing the door panel is pretty easy.  Just remove the interior pull
handle, the winder crank, and the interior door latch, then use a wide
paint scraper under the door panel  to pry the spring fasteners out of the
door.   The top of the panel just slides in under the arm rest, and you can
feel around with the paint scraper to find the spring fasteners.   You
should have a moisture barrier under the panel, covering the openings in
the door.   If you are careful, you might be able to peel this back and
reuse it, but mine was stuck so well that I ended up just tearing it off
and replacing it with a sheet of plastic, taped with duct tape.  It's
important for the moisture barrier to be in place, otherwise the hardboard
door panels can get soft from water that gets inside the door.

With the door panel off, you have easy access to the window regulator
track,  The gear sector of the regulator can be exposed by cranking the
winder around, but the mating gear is mostly enclosed in a metal container.
 I had mine out of the door when I lubricated it, so I don't know how much
of it you can get to with the regulator in place.

Lubrication might help your problem, but you also might have a roller out
of the track or other malfunction of the regulator.  You need to take the
panel off to see what the real problem is.

Steve Byers
Havelock, NC USA
'73 Midget GAN5UD126009G  "OO NINE"
'63 BJ7 HBJ7L/20111 "HEALEYUM"
"It is better to remain silent, and be thought a fool
than to speak, and remove all doubt"  -- Mark Twain