RE: Anti-theft devices

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: RE: Anti-theft devices
From: David Tietz <mgcats@sprynet.com>
Date: Mon, 08 Jun 1998 22:51:10 -0400
Ric Bergstrom wrote:

>>I did a simple switch to interupt power to the fuel pump. <snip>

Right on Ric. If the thief is successful in starting the car, he will
run it for about 20 seconds, and it will die. It will not start, and
assuming he moved it to a more visible place, he will most likely leave
it.

Now we hope it won't be subject to damage or he didn't attempt crossing
a 4-lane.

As a safety feature, I recommend wiring a 12 volt buzzer (solid state
ala Radio Shack) in the proper polarity across the switch terminals
(negative to the pump - neg ground car). If you have the switch open,
you will hear the buzz and be reminded to switch on your fuel pump (so
you don't attempt the 4-lane maneuver yourself).

I think this simple hidden switch/buzzer along with a removable key
cut-off switch makes it pretty hard to steal the car (except for
towing... and there isn't much you can do about that).

Dave Tietz