Re: Painting expertise wanted

To: Joseph Cianciotti <jmc987@earthlink.net>
Subject: Re: Painting expertise wanted
From: Enrique Claure <span@datacom-bo.net>
Date: Mon, 08 Jun 1998 23:16:24 -0400
At 08:38 PM 6/8/1998 -0700, you wrote:
>Spoke to someone (over the phone) today about repairing my vandalized
>door and lock. He mentioned using a clear coat to blend the paint. It
>seems kind of odd to me since my car doesn't have a clear coat. He said
>that's the only way to get it to match if the new paint isn't spot on
>correct. I asked why he wouldn't just repaint the door (or even just the
>lower half) and he said that getting the color to butt match is extremely
>difficult, though not impossible.
>
>I'm still not clear why. I thought that, like house paint, you bring a
>sample to the paint shop and they match it using some sort of
>computer-type gizmo. And that putting a clear coat on my car would make
>the repaired area look different from the rest of the car.
>
>What do you think? Please help. Thanks in advance.
>
>Joseph
>67 Roadster

I am a bit suspicous myself. Maybe her refers to clear coat by the urathane
primer that is kind of green/yellow. Basically, any repair shop must put in
the same things the manufacturer. If he is not doing what I am telling you,
maybe you are getting plain ol Bull. Go to anothr shop and get a second
opinion. Enrique
Enrique Claure
PO BOX 777-TOP 196
MIAMI FL 33152