Painting expertise wanted

Subject: Painting expertise wanted
From: Joseph Cianciotti <jmc987@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 8 Jun 98 20:38:39 -0700
Spoke to someone (over the phone) today about repairing my vandalized
door and lock. He mentioned using a clear coat to blend the paint. It
seems kind of odd to me since my car doesn't have a clear coat. He said
that's the only way to get it to match if the new paint isn't spot on
correct. I asked why he wouldn't just repaint the door (or even just the
lower half) and he said that getting the color to butt match is extremely
difficult, though not impossible.

I'm still not clear why. I thought that, like house paint, you bring a
sample to the paint shop and they match it using some sort of
computer-type gizmo. And that putting a clear coat on my car would make
the repaired area look different from the rest of the car.

What do you think? Please help. Thanks in advance.

Joseph
67 Roadster