Simple Thermostat question

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Simple Thermostat question
From: "Bob Deasy (deasy)" <deasy@sequent.com>
Date: Tue, 16 Jun 1998 09:07:09 -0700
Okay here is what might be a rather obvious but I must admit to being a bit
flummoxed.

Car is a 72 B GT.

DPO removed thermostat and did not fit blanking plate.  I decided to install
thermostat and id so with no problems - so I thought.  Here is what happened.
Temperature gauge, which worked before, stopped working. I removed the
thermostat and tested in hot water and it opens around 160 ish, it is a 165
degree thermostat.  Next morning, no thermostat, temperature gauge works part
of the time then appears to fail - went all the way to cold.  I plan to check
the gauge by disconnecting from sending unit and connecting the light bulb to
ground.  Whew.

My simple question is when installing the thermostat does it get installed on
the head with the gasket on top or does it sit on the gasket ?  Or, in other
words, is the sequence Head-Thermostat-Gasket or Head-Gasket-Thermostat ?

Thanks in advance.