Re: Is a "B" Really Worth It?

To: Trevor Boicey <tboicey@brit.ca>, JustBrits@aol.com
Subject: Re: Is a "B" Really Worth It?
From: Mike Hartwig <mhartwig@cbu.edu>
Date: Tue, 16 Jun 1998 11:28:30 -0500
At 11:00 PM 6/15/98 -0400, Trevor Boicey wrote:
>  The engine on my Celica is not interference. If the belt breaks,
>you just replace it and drive away. The timing belt isn't even
>on the maintenance list except in the "severe service" section
>at some absurd number like 100,000 miles.
>
>  I have an LBC engine in my garage that had to be scrapped for
>a timing chain failure.
>
>  Which design is "catastrophic"?
>
>  The misconceptions about new cars that get thrown around
>are just embarrassing.

Well, I would say that the timing belts are worse.  You have to get them
replaced 60,000 to 100,000 miles and sometimes, this work requires major
work (i.e. removing engine).  And if the belt isn't replaced, you run a
higher risk (as opposed to timing chain) of it breaking and destroying your
engine.

Timing chain is better in my opinion.  Why do they use belts, anyway?

My main gripe about newer cars, is the fact they are such a bitch to work
on, because of the cramped engine compartment.  Weird thing, is that I'm
helping my brother to squeeze a Rover V-8 into his '78 B, and I'll be back
in that crowd again.

I have to agree with some others on the list.  Most breakdowns of my MGs
can be easily repaired by myself.  A breakdown on some other newer autos,
can wreak havoc on the mechanic's sanity.  I had a Toyota truck at one
time.  Heater relay stuck closed (running battery dead) and the damn Toyota
mechanic said that he couldn't find anything wrong, so I was stuck in the
rain.  I basically taught myself a lot that weekend.  Then that same truck
had emissions control equipment problems.  What a major pain in the arse to
diagnose and repair?  In Trevor's defense, though, I ripped the engine out
of my B the other day to replace a clutch.  I've got so good at it, I can
do it in no time flat, so it sounds like a nothing job.

I think we're comparing apples to rice burners.  can't be done.  I have a
'70 MGB daily driver and I'm darn proud of it.  I'm having fun, have
learned a lot, have cried a lot, have cursed the Lucas gods a lot.  Can't
say that for my Toyota truck.  And I'm much more willing to take my MGB to
Colorado for vacation than my Toyota.  Call me crazy!

Jay