RE: Fuel Tank sender

To: "'Dan Pockrus'" <dpockrus@efficient.com>, "'MG List'" <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: RE: Fuel Tank sender
From: "Bob Deasy (deasy)" <deasy@sequent.com>
Date: Tue, 16 Jun 1998 11:00:52 -0700
The circuit, as my memory serves me, is one where the voltage stabilizer
provides a known voltage on one side and the sending unit in the tank is an
wound wire resistor with an arm moved by the float. The net result is that
the total circuit resistance changes with the position of the float.

When I last repaired my fuel gauge problem I removed the sending unit and
found a broken wire.

You could disconnect the wires from the sending unit, attach your VOM and
then bounce the car to see if the resistance changes - the float should move
up and down.  I have heard from this list that often the float no longer
floats so that could be a problem also. If the resistance changes then the
wiring or gauge becomes suspect.  It bears mentioning that the sending unit
is insulated from the car metal by a plastic ring so there should be two
wires on the sending unit.