Re: Starting at the beginning...

To: TXBobcat30@aol.com, mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Starting at the beginning...
From: Mike Hartwig <mhartwig@cbu.edu>
Date: Wed, 17 Jun 1998 22:05:18 -0500
At 09:43 PM 6/17/98 EDT, TXBobcat30@aol.com wrote:
  He then said that I should be
>able to turn the camshaft either by the fan blade or by putting a socket on
>one of the pulleys.  I tried it and the thing won't budge a bit.  He said we
>are probably going to have to pull the engine out to figure out what the
>problem is.  Do any of you agree with this?  I didn't know I was going to
have
>to pull the engine out first thing!  (By the way....just disregard any of my
>non-mechanical terms or anything else that sounds stupid)

Jarrod, I'm not sure what the B12 stuff is, but I've had good success with
marvel mystery oil.  It is excellent for lubing the cylinder walls and
rings.  Put some of this stuff into your spark plug holes.  I'd check that
oil.  If it has been sitting up for 12 years, then the oil will likely be
absolutely horrible, with the major problem likely to be moisture.  Some
listers have used diesel fuel or kerosene (maybe?) to free up a stuck
engine.
You might want to drain your oil, and then fill up the darn thing with a
lot of diesel.  Then let it sit for a while.  You may want to put some
pieces of cardboard or like under the engine, cause the diesel just may
find a way to leak out of the engine (by the way: MGs like to leak any
fluids on the ground; it's there way of marking territory. you know, kinda
like a dog).

After a few days of soaking, you may be able to get a wrench on the
crankshaft bolt (if you can get one, a 1 and 5/16 socket is the right size,
or a 32 mm as a loan-a-tool from your local auto parts store).  Turn the
crankshaft bolt and try to free everything up.  To ease the turning, you
may want to remove the plugs.  Turn as long as you can.  You can pretend it
is an Olympic sport and maybe it will be fun :).

AFter this, drain the sump (oil pan) and add some of that wonderful mystery
oil.  Have a good mechanic help you with your basics.  This would include
ignition and carburetors, battery.  And maybe, if you are really lucky, you
can get it started.

have fun
Jay