Re: rounded-off bolt

To: Tyson Sherman <tsherman@tecinfo.com>
Subject: Re: rounded-off bolt
From: Barney Gaylord <barneymg@ntsource.com>
Date: Fri, 19 Jun 1998 02:24:43
At 09:02 PM 6/18/98 -0500, Tyson Sherman wrote:
>I managed to round off one of the six bolts holding the flywheel to the
crank on my 76 B. ....  Any tips on how to get it off?

If all else fails, grind off the bolt head and remove the flywheel.  Then
if you still can't get the !@#$%^&* bolt out with monster vice grips, it
would be time to drill and tap, but that's a very tricky task with hand
tools and not ruining the thread in the crankshaft.  The sure way out for a
truly stuborn broken bolt is to remove the crankshaft and take it to a shop
with an ELOX machine that can electrically burn out the center of the stud
without touching the thread.  Then they peel out the remaining thread and
run a tap through to clean it out.

Good luck friend, and keep us informed.

Barney Gaylord
1958 MGA with an attitude