Re: rounded-off bolt

Subject: Re: rounded-off bolt
From: Mike Hartwig <mhartwig@cbu.edu>
Date: Thu, 18 Jun 1998 22:22:11 -0500
At 09:02 PM 6/18/98 -0500, Tyson Sherman wrote:
>I managed to round off one of the six bolts holding the flywheel to the
>crank on my 76 B.  A six point socket did first (even rounded the
>socket).  Then a twelve point socket didn't do any better.  Any tips on
>how to get it off?  It's got a 3/4" head, btw.

Rounded a six-point socket.  Holy geez! What was that socket made from?
Pot metal?

You did good to use the six point socket first.  If the six point socket
doesn't get the job done, then the 12-pointer surely isn't.  I'm referring
to rounding the heads off.

Well, I think your best bet WAS to use an impact wrench so you can
concentrate on keeping the wrench on the bolt really well.  You probably
busted your nuts trying to get the bolts off with your socket, and it
probably wasn't nice and straight.  No worries though, Tyson.

If you've got a welder, you might want to get some square steel bar stock
and weld the end of the bar to the bolt.  And then get a huge crescent
wrench after the steel bar and see if you can budge the sucker.  Or you
could try a pipe and pipe wrench, but I don't think you can get a big
enough pipe on there to handle some torque.  Otherwise, I'm at a loss.
You're in a pickle and it won't be easy.

Jay