Re: Deccelerator

To: Simon Westbrook <simon@sageinc.com>
Subject: Re: Deccelerator
From: Paul Hunt <paul.hunt1@virgin.net>
Date: Tue, 23 Jun 1998 19:56:19 +0000
Simon Westbrook wrote:

> Ive had my 79 B running  a few times since the rebuild.
> When driving, or when i blip the accelerator peddle and take my foot
> off, the engine takes a relatively long time to slow to idle speed,
> (under 1000rpm).  Well a couple of seconds, which seems much slower than
> other cars I have driven.

If you have SU HIF carb(s) it could be caused by a faulty poppet valve on a
throttle
butterfly.  These open under decelleration to reduce pollution and should be
closed by
a spring before the engine gets to idle speed.  There's not much you can do
with them
other than to solder them shut or replace the butterfly with one without the
valve.

PaulH.