Re: Rising to the bait - beware! OT and inflammatory

To: crschaef@mc.net
Subject: Re: Rising to the bait - beware! OT and inflammatory
From: gofastmg@juno.com (Rick Morrison)
Date: Thu, 25 Jun 1998 18:41:44 EDT
On Wed, 24 Jun 1998 22:14:11 -0500 Chuck Schaefer <crschaef@mc.net>
writes:
SNIP-SNIP

>But... It is excellant as a cleaner. I use it to remove grease, oil
>and adhesive. I use it when I clean bearings. After the obligatory
>cleansing in solvent, I spray some on the bearings and spin using my
>compressor's air gun.

Chuck,
 Please don't spin any bearing using the compressor air gun!!
What happens is that the bearing roller/ball is slammed outward against
the cage as it is spinning, and then when that roller comes back around
under the air stream it is slammed into the inner race. making for
minute, but real peening marks on both the race and the roller/ball. Now
you have a less than round roller/ball moving across a less than smooth
race. Result: less than normal bearing life.
 Dry a freshly cleaned bearing by placing it on clean cloths and allow
the cleaner to evaporate naturaly.
 Your bearings will thank you.
Rick Morrison
72 MGBGT