brake adjusting tools

To: MG list <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: brake adjusting tools
From: Jim Stuart <jimbb88@erols.com>
Date: Fri, 26 Jun 1998 18:33:07 -0400
As my MG's are daily drivers, I spend too much time adjusting rear
brakes, & I am a sucker for brake adjusting tools. I have at least one
of every kind ever thought of, & none have been ideal. My situation is a
little more complicated than some, since I have an M&G rear sway bar
which is right in the way of the adjuster.

I finally got smart, & made one that is ideal for my use, maybe it will
work for you:

Beg, borrow, ... or as a last resort, buy 2 cheap 1/4" drive universals.
'They must be identical, not different brands. Look at them carefully,
one end is a 1/4" square socket. Partially dissasemble both by driving
out the tension pins. On one, remove the socket end, on the other,
remove the male end( the end that has something sticking out).
Reassemble one universal joint with a socket on each end. Throw the rest
away. You now have a socket that will fit your 1/4" extension & breaker
bar or rachet, & will get you to the adjuster, even around a sway bar. I
like to use a small breaker bar instead of a rachet, as it lets you
"feel" the cam of the adjuster.

Other tools I own to perform this operation:
   various spoke wrenches, MG & motorcycle
   A/C ratcheting box wrench, square drive 1/4 & 5/16( use the 1/4)
   various 1/4" open end & combination wrenches- the Snap-On lasted for
1 wheel, Sears, 2 adjustment sessions
   Snap-On combination flex socket wrench, square drive, 2nd best tool,
but $27.00
   tank wrench, one with square hole, larger version with square socket
   vise grips- NOT recommended

Just thought the WD40 thing was about used up, so I offer this to be
flamed over instead......

Jim
2 V8's,  no dollars or sense, but lots of strange tools