Re: engine assembly lube

To: dreinsch@tenet.edu
Subject: Re: engine assembly lube
From: gofastmg@juno.com (Rick Morrison)
Date: Sat, 27 Jun 1998 21:47:24 EDT
This is fine to get oil pressure before cranking the engine.
 But, on an initial startup of a freshly rebuilt engine, the most fragile
component is the cam lobes. I have heard estimate of cam wear as high as
20% of total cam wear on an engine occurs the first 2 minutes of new
engine operation.
 For this reason, it's always a good idea to liberally coat each cam
lobe, bearing surface and lifter face with a good cam/assembly lube upon
assembly.
Rick Morrison
72 MGBGT
74 Midget