Re: Welding a 69 MGB

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net, "Frank W Phillips JR" <FWP@vpha.health.ufl.edu>
Subject: Re: Welding a 69 MGB
From: "S. L. Hower" <howersl@mailexcite.com>
Date: Tue, 30 Jun 1998 15:05:34 -0700
Frank,

Welcome to the list.  You will need the following
in roughly this order :-)

1. This list.
2. George Merryweather's email address.
3. A MIG welder (Hobart Handler; Lincoln Weldpak 110).
4. A book entitled 'MGB-Guide to Purchase and DIY
restoration" by Lindsay Porter (Vol 1 if possible).
5. Moss Motors/Victoria British catalogs
6. Beer.
7. Band-Aids.

Seriously, replacing floors is not that difficult.
It is dirty and cramped, but not too bad otherwise.

A few things to remember: cut out all rot; if the
floors are bad, suspect the sills also.  Drill the
spotwelds out with a 3/8 drill and chisel around the
remnants of the weld.  Expect to find a spot weld every
2 to 3 inches.   Eastweed sells a nice wide chisel
with a big fat hand protector; it works great for
floors.

The new pans are supplied with a big lip that runs
parallel to the sill.  I ripped this off with a
nibbbler as I replaced the sills too and it just got
in the way.  Depending on your sills, you may want
to keep this intact.

Measure cafefully for the seat rails and test fit them
onto the new pans before welding the captive nuts on.
Weld the nuts to the floor and screw the pans down
using steel 1/8in sheet metal screws.  Dont forget the center crosmember.  Tack
the floor down hammering it flat as you go.  I ran 1inch seams skipping an inch
or
so all the way around the pan.   Drill 3/8" holes in the floor pan where the
crossmember sits underneath
and weld the holes shut.

Good luck and let us know how it goes!

---