Re: Welding a 69 MGB

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Welding a 69 MGB
From: jporco@juno.com (James F Porco)
Date: Wed, 1 Jul 1998 15:07:30 -0400
Been on and off the board for a few years yada, yada, yada.

During that time I have been rebuilding a 1971 B-GT.   My recommendation
to Frank is that if he has the space and the time, go buy a welder and do
the job himself.  I looked for about 6 months for someone to weld the
rockers, sills and floor pans (basically the whole middle section and a
bit more than that). I called virtually every body shop in the phone book
and no one wanted to touch a 25 year old car with rust - too much profit
on the newer cars.  The only price I was given was $1000 per side with no
guarantees!   "Certified Welder" union wages!  So, I went to The
Anderson's and purchased a flux core welder (Mig was out of my price
range: $200 more than my budget allowed).  A few pounds of flux wire
later and I have new rockers, sills, floor pans, and a bit more welded on
tight and securely - yea, Iv'e done the bouncing up and down on the
middle seam to check and no problems so far.

My recommendation is to make sure all parts are super clean.  I ended up
with the least amount of grinding when the metal was bright and clean.  I
also recommend getting a pair of welding pants, a shirt and a welding
cap, this really saved the clothes and skin - especially on the days when
I was on my back for a few hours welding overhead.

The whole job took about 6 months total.  If your father, father-in-law,
brother or some other close relative has the skills I agree with John,
get them to do it. If not, two good weeks of practice, three or so good
welding books, a nice pile of scrap metal, a spot welder removal tool
(i.e., a good 1/4 inch drill bit) and head right into it.  Besides you
can always grind off the bad parts and reweld them.

Since my MG welding I have use the flux core welder to repair a AC
bracket, a few bikes and other odds and ends - the uses never end!

Jim Porco
1971 B-GT (Over 100,000 miles in black primer and ready to paint.)