Re: Rocker panels on a B

To: "Proudfoot, Andrew" <IMCEAMS-TRANSPORT_YQX01_PROUDFA@NAVCANADA.CA>
Subject: Re: Rocker panels on a B
From: Trevor Boicey <tboicey@brit.ca>
Date: Thu, 02 Jul 1998 02:11:34 -0400
Proudfoot, Andrew wrote:
> Sorry I don't have any of the parts you are looking for. I too will have
> to replace the rockers on the 77B but initial inspection seems that only
> the outers are needed. I was interested to hear your opinion in your
> return to Charlie. I have read in Obsolete's Newsletter that inners are
> always required but thought this just a marketing ploy.

  Unfortunately, it tends to be true. I don't know why, perhaps
the inners are not painted on a new car?

  At any rate, the three panels all meet at the bottom, and they
all rust up from the bottom. What happens is that the inner rusts
up so that it isn't connected at the bottom anymore, and then it
isn't doing anything at all.

  The inner panels are also the cheapest since they are just flat
steel with ribs formed in them for stiffness. If money is extremely
tight, consider making them out of regular flat steel which should
cost only a few bucks to do both sides. You can trace the outer ones
to get the shape right, it's basically rectangular except for a swoop
up at the rear where it goes behind the dogleg.

> One of the PO's fiberglassed over the
> floors he said there were some small holes where the snaps for the
> carpet were fixed. Should I just replace these floor panels also?

  Where do you want the car to go? It's hard to draw the line because
you could replace the whole bodyshell, or do nothing. Somewhere in
between is probably the best solution, where is the line?

  In my case, I replaced the floors, but I fabricated the panels.(pics
on my page) That way I got waterproof floors but I saved a chunk of
money
that won't really matter when driving.

> On another topic do you use Obsolete for parts??

  Yes, I ordered the sills and dogleg from Obsolete. Price was good,
shipping was fast, product was excellent. No troubles. Their sale
is still on, I'd highly recommend grabbing it. Because of the high US
dollar right now, it makes ordering from Moss and/or VB more
expensive than ever.

> Also do you know of any other good Canadian parts sources???

  Not for new parts, no. There are a few good junkyards here in Ottawa
so I pretty much get everything used locally except sheetmetal.

> I don't think I should have to pay $ 20.00 so that Obsolete can
> advertise to me.

  I can understand their point, their flyer is a decent read so I can
imagine most people want to receive it even if they don't order.

  If you place an order apparently you get the flyer for a year, that's
fair. However, in my case, I only order panels from them and even with
3 MGs I don't need panels once a year.

  For what it's worth, they didn't answer my email a while ago
either. But they do have a phone presence.

--
Trevor Boicey, Ottawa, Canada.
tboicey@brit.ca, http://www.brit.ca/~tboicey/