Webers & Ram Pipes

To: "Jon Årikstad" <jon@nextel.no>
Subject: Webers & Ram Pipes
From: Robert Allen <boballen@sky.net>
Date: Fri, 03 Jul 1998 10:33:31 -0500
Jon Årikstad wrote:

> BTW ( please, I'm norwegian, so this may not be perfect)

Ha! We American's assume that of everyone!

> I have on my kitchen table (not married) a weber (45DCOE) and a set of
> K/N filters. The weber comes with two 'ram pipes'. The ram pipes are
> supposed to be inside the filter, not removed ??

Dump the ram pipes.

> The ram pipes is mounted to the weber with nuts, and a sort of square
> washer.
> The K/N filter use the same bolts/nuts as the ram pipes, and comes with
> a gasket that should be between the filter and carburetor. The problem
> is that the washers does not fit between the weber/gasket/filter.
> I may use force, and hope that the gasket gets flat enough, or carve
> a bit of the hasket, to fit the washers.

I believe the you have the 'ram pipes' that mount to the exterior, intake
side, of the Weber. That is, you do not have the 'ram pipes' that are part of
the venturis which extend a couple of inches (5cm) into the throat of the
carb.

If this is the case, dump the 'ram pipes' and use the K&Ns without them. If
not, you're screwed (not unusal if not married) and will have a hard time
fitting the air filters.

The purpose of the 'ram pipes' is not to increase performance on wide open
throttle. Their purpose is under part throttle conditions. The Weber has very
little restriction all they way down to the intake valve. When the throttle
plates are open and the engine is decelerating, it is not unusal to have an
air/fuel fog backing out of the carb into the intake area. The 'ram pipe' was
to keep the cloud from blowing off into the engine bay and cockpit. The K&N's
will have the same effect.

Sometimes, the 'ram pipes' are pretty handy to cure a mid-range stumble when
going into the throttle as the air/fuel cloud provides a rich mixture as you
rotate the throttle butterflies.

They look pretty snazzy, though, if not running filters.

Bob Allen, Kansas City, '69C/GT w/three Weber 40DCOEs
"America may be unique in being a country which has leapt from barbarism to
decadence without touching civilization." -- John O'Hara