Re: dashless wonder has more questions....

To: bmahoney@home.com
Subject: Re: dashless wonder has more questions....
From: David Councill <dcouncil@imt.net>
Date: Sat, 04 Jul 1998 12:29:36 -0600
> Really, the only known problem with drive train is
>the clutch, it makes a noise when the clutch is let out and the tranny
>is in neutral.

Becky,

I had a similar problem with my 71BGT. It was a very faint squeal. I chose
to ignore it, and in doing so, I postponed the inevitable breakdown to a
most inopportune moment.

I was on my way to a job interview. Since it was a 40 mile drive, I looked
forward to a nice drive. But a downshift led to clutch failure. I drove
home in second gear.

When I pulled the transmission off, I saw the problem. The release bearing
had worn on one side, to the point that the metal was rubbing on the
pressure plate (the faint squeal). After sufficient wear, there was enough
travel on the clutch that the slave cylinder popped apart.

It wasn't a big deal - I got the complete clutch assembly - disk, plate,
bearing on sale for $90 at Moss. Plus a slave cylinder kit and brake fluid.
All in all, it cost me a litle over $100 in parts and a weekend in the
garage to fix it.

And the job interview - I rescheduled it. But I didn't get the job. And
what was really disappointing - they didn't even ask me what kind of car I
had. I would have.

David
71 BGT
74 Landcruiser