Re: Carb Question + List Traffic

To: Bert Palte <vortex@wxs.nl>
Subject: Re: Carb Question + List Traffic
From: Bill Schooler <schooler@erols.com>
Date: Sun, 05 Jul 1998 08:52:05 -0400
Bert Palte wrote:

(snip)

> >From the traffic op this list it is obvious that the 4th of July is a
>national
> holiday, it seems that more messages have been posted than normally during
> the weekend...
>
> The financial section of my newspaper says Wall Street (NYSE) was closed Fri
> July 3rd
> because of the celebration of Independence Day on July 4th.
> I don't understand. Can anyone explain this to me? TIA.
>
> Bert

Sure!  In the states, when a national holiday falls on a weekend, either
the preceding or following workday is treated as a "holiday" for the
work force.  Since the 4th was on a saturday, the preceding friday was
designated as the observed holiday, from the standpoint of government
offices being closed and many businesses as well.  (If it had fallen on
sunday, the following monday would have been the day off.)  That's why
the stock market was closed.

The actual celebration of Independence Day took place on saturday, and
most folks in the country are enjoying a "three-day" weekend.

--
*Bill Schooler      *Check the MGCC Wash DC Centre Web Page
*Woodbridge, VA     *http://members.aol.com/mgccwdcc/