Re: 10-Seater MGA

To: "David F. Darby" <darby@tri-lakes.net>, "MGs List" <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: 10-Seater MGA
From: Larry Macy <macy@bblmail.psycha.upenn.edu>
Date: Mon, 6 Jul 1998 08:29:27 -0400
On 7/6/98 12:34 AM so and so (David F. Darby) said. (And I quote:)

>Ladies and Gentlemen:
>
>Fortunately, the Voyager (Plymouth minivan) had a flat tire (tyre, or tar)
>this evening when I set out to drive a load of folding chairs to our studi=
>in preparation for a special function tomorrow. I say fortunately, because
>it hadn=92t dawned on me to haul chairs with the MGA, but it would really =
be
>much better suited for the twenty-two mile round trip over the snaky,
>hilly, forest route. Right?
>
>But how does one fit ten Samsonite chairs into a, how should I put it, les=
>than Samson-like conveyance? Well, if you want to follow along and try thi=
>at home the trick is to take the passenger seat cushion out. Seven chairs,
>folded and stacked, filled the space from floor to instrument panel, the
>last one encouraged in by opening the door and going at it sideways. I
>tried to leave a little room to reach the handbrake, just in case. One
>chair, folded in the tonneau cover, fit transversely behind the seats --
>its gray tube frame suggesting a very optimistic, low-profile roll bar.
>That left two chairs for the luggage rack. These I strapped on with a piec=
>of kernmantle shock cord.

<SNIP>

Good tale David. As I read, I was reminded of one of the last commercials
I ever saw for an MG. Back about 78 -79 There was a commercial where the
boyfriend pulls up in his Midget to get his ladyfriend. She walks out of
the house carrying a Tuba!! Well the inventive boyfriend hops out and
drops the hood (top) and stuffs the tuba behind the seats. Smiles to the
camera and off they go. The refrain was:
Good going MG Midget, you sure make the going good!
Although in your case substitute MGA!!

Larry Macy
78 Midget

(Of course, why the top was up in the first place I'll never understand)

Larry B. Macy, Ph.D.
macy@bblmail.psycha.upenn.edu
System Manager/Administrator
Neuropsychiatry Section
Department of Psychiatry
University of Pennsylvania
3400 Spruce St. - 10 Gates
Philadelphia, PA 19104

In a world without walls or fences, what use do we have for windows or
gates?