RE: engine work

To: "ccrobins" <ccrobins@ktc.com>, "Henry D. Reynolds" <hdr@jump.net>
Subject: RE: engine work
From: "Chris Delling" <saschris@flash.net>
Date: Mon, 6 Jul 1998 10:45:19 -0700
FWIW-

The motor in my 77B was rebuilt a few thousand miles ago.  After the fact. I
made a decision to replace the cam with a performance grind, and replace the
pistons with a higher comp. type.

I performed this over the winter.  The job was done with the motor in the
car.  Dropped the pan, R&R the pistons, cam, oil pump, etc.  Didn't touch
the mains - they were replaced less than 5000 miles ago.  The job was
accomplished with about 30 hours of labor.

Clearly, the job would have been easier with the engine on the bench.  Of
course I have limited space, and would have needed to rent an engine hoist.
I don't think that the job would have taken less time by pulling the motor -
just easier.

That said, a rubber bumper B is a different animal than an A, CBB, or
Midget.  YMMV.

Regards,

Chris Delling