Re: what do I look for?

To: bmc@aa.net, mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: what do I look for?
From: DANMAS@aol.com
Date: Mon, 6 Jul 1998 19:25:51 EDT
In a message dated 98-07-06 17:12:06 EDT, bmc@aa.net writes:

> If such is the case, can you help me understand why my hazards don't work?
>  The turn signals work well.  I have replaced the hazard switch and flasher
>  unit with new ones.  Still, no hazard lights.  Your statement makes me
>  wonder if the new switch could be bad, too.  Is there any way to check?
>  Assuming the switch is good, where else could be trouble be?

Scott,

The first place to look is at the hazard flasher. The turn signal flasher
draws its power from the green wires, which are hot only when the key is on.
The hazard flasher, on the other hand, draws its power birectly from the
battery via a brown wire, so that they can be used without having to leave the
key in the switch.

Look for 12 volts on both the brown and the and the light green/brown wires at
the flasher. You should have 12 volts at all times when the flasher is off. If
not, then the fuse in the brown wire is probably blown, but there could be a
bad connection in the brown wire. This is the only brown wire I know of in an
LBC that is fused.

If you do have power on the brown wire but not on the light green/brown wire,
then the flasher is bad. If you have power on both wires, then you either have
a bad flasher or a problem with the wiring downstream of the flasher unit,
either in the switch itself, or in the interconnecting wires.

Check for power on the light green brown wire at the hazard switch. If the
wire from the flasher is intact, there will be voltage here. If not, you will
read zero, and the wire needs to be repaired or replaced.

Next, with the turn signals off, turn the hazard flasher on and look for power
at the green white and the green red wires at the hazard switch. If there is
no power here, then the hazard switch is bad. If there is power, then pull the
plug from the switch (or the individual wires, as appropriate), and connect,
in turn, the green white and the green red wires to the brown wire at the
hazard flasher. If the lights on the appropriate side illuminate, then the
flasher is bad. If they don't, then there is a loose connection - probably a
plug - somewhere in the wiring to the lamps.

I think that covers everything you need to look at, given that the turn
signals do work.

Dan Masters,
Alcoa, TN

'68 MGBGT---organ donor for the '74