Re: MGA SU Carbs...

To: Barney Gaylord <barneymg@ntsource.com>
Subject: Re: MGA SU Carbs...
From: Trevor Boicey <tboicey@brit.ca>
Date: Tue, 07 Jul 1998 02:40:56 -0400
Barney Gaylord wrote:
> >  However, if the car is in that shape, the carbs might be pretty junky as
> > well. You might be better off trying to source a pair of nice HS4s from a
> > junkyarded B that was trashed for an accident or other reason than "abuse".
> > They would be much closer in style and vintage to the original style twin
> > SU carbs.
>
> Whoa there, Trevor.  I may be wrong, somebody catch me if I am, but the '78
> Midget has a 1500 Triumph engine, not very closely related to the MG
> B-series engines.  I suspect that the MGA intake manifold will not fit on
> that TR engine in the '78 Midget.

  I don't think there is any doubt that none of the manifolds will
fit.

  I was meaning more that the carbs will be closer to correct
if taken from an early 70s B than from a late 50s MGA.

  SU carbs underwent a myriad of tiny changes over the years, ranging
from cosmetic things like plastic piston caps to who-even-noticed
changes on the inside.

  While you may be able to get anything working, you would likely
have the least trouble with the later carbs because then the needle
curves would be fairly correct. I have a 50s Magnette in my stable
and the SU carbs in it are at least VISIBLY very different than
the twin SUs in either my B or my Spitfidget.

  No doubt, he will have to source a manifold either way, because
he can't have mine! ;>

--
Trevor Boicey, Ottawa, Canada.
tboicey@brit.ca, http://www.brit.ca/~tboicey/