Re: Derogatory remarks - was Re: Swaps

To: bruset@home.com, mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Derogatory remarks - was Re: Swaps
From: MGBDude@aol.com
Date: Tue, 7 Jul 1998 04:00:27 EDT
In a message dated 98-07-06 21:26:01 EDT, bruset@home.com writes:

<< I just don't want to be crucified because someone is getting upset at the
fact that the "hick" generalization is associated with the South. >>

Perhaps you misunderstood - I took exception with the fact that you implied
that all people flying the confederate flag were "hicks" - not with the
generalization that all hicks are from the south - however since you claim
that it is a FACT that the "hick" generalization is limited to the South,
just for clarification purposes - I have lived in New Jersey (Trenton),
California (Novato) and Texas (San Antonio) as well as overseas (Britain) and
here in the south (Alabama) - and all the areas that I have lived in have had
their fair share of "hicks" or "yokels" or "country folk" or "backwoods" or
"aboriginal" or whatever term you happen to want to use.  "Hicksville" is not
just a phenomenon of the South.

Its a big world out there - you should be able to fly whatever flag you want
to - it's really sad when the schemata of stereotyping seeps over into what
should be a relaxing discourse on the joys of owning, working on, and
puttering about in our LBCs.....

(yes - I debated on sending this to the list - I know it just prolongs the
inevitable)

Bill