RE: Dim Panel Lights

To: Larry Hoy <larryhoy@mcione.com>, "Feldman, Jack (Jack)" <jack@lucent.com>,
Subject: RE: Dim Panel Lights
From: Larry Hoy <larryhoy@mcione.com>
Date: Tue, 07 Jul 1998 12:15:13 -0600
About 2 months ago I indicated to the list I would check out the "Dim
panel lamp" issue.  I think Jack Feldman may have started all this,
and there was further input from Paul Hunt and Dan Master, as well as
others on this list.

Here is what I have found out.  If your car uses a lamp with a screw
base and a 7/16" spherical globe you have probably been using a lamp
with a model number of #53 or 1449.  These numbers represent the same
lamp, and although they are labeled as a 12V lamp they are rated at
14V / 2.8W / .20A.  So when you go to your local parts house and pick
up a 12V lamp your are being sold a 14V lamp.  Apparently the original
equipment on your MGB was most likely a 12V lamp (a real 12V lamp)
which would have a model number #52 or 1446.  These are very hard to
find, but they are available.

I found a local supplier that sells a Sunray 1446 lamp.  They are
rated 12V / 2.4W / .2A.  The supplier indicated they couldn't get the
same lamp in either Wagner or GE.  I am sure there are specialty lamp
shops all over the globe that can supply these same lamps.  In fact I
believe Paul Hunt indicated they are "commonly available in the UK."

I have been using these lamps in half of my instruments for the last
30 days, in the other half of my instruments  have the old 14V lamps.
The results have been slightly brighter instruments with the new
lamps.  The difference is subtle, but there is a difference.  To date
none of them have burned out, which has been reported as a problem
with the Radio Shack solution (7.5V lamps).

Hope this helps.

Larry Hoy; Denver, CO. USA
1969 MGB Roadster
1987 Jaguar XJ6 VDP
"It's not how fast you go, it's how fast you go fast"