Re: Swaps (215 V8)

To: bfurgalus@geocities.com
Subject: Re: Swaps (215 V8)
From: gofastmg@juno.com (Rick Morrison)
Date: Wed, 08 Jul 1998 20:29:19 EDT
The engine was only offered in three years - 1961,62, and 63.
 In 1964 each division went their own way with larger cast iron engines,
simultanious with the introduction of the new, larger body. In Buick's
case, the new engine was a 300 cid engine that shared a substantial
number of parts with the 215
  Curiously Buick in 1962 and 63 offered, in the Special,  a 90 degree
V-6 which used all the 215 compents except the rear 2 cylinders.
  When Rover bought the rights to the 215 engine from GM, they took a
good portion of the Buick stock of engines, but didn't want the
Oldsmobile versions, due to the extra head bolt.
  A bit later, Jack Brabham and Repco  were looking around for an engine
to use in the new F1 formula and struck a deal with the Oldsmobile
division for purchase their minute stock of 215 engines.  To make a long
story short, the engine block  was the basis (albeit heavily modified)
for the Repco-Brabham F1 car that won the Drivers Championship and the
Manufacturers Championship in the same year.

Sorry for the long answer to a short question, and for the rambling on,
but I sometimes get a bit carried away. I guess it's a symptom of OFdom

Rick Morrison
72 MGBGT
74 Midget