Synthetic oil opinions solicited

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Synthetic oil opinions solicited
From: Bill Eastman <william.eastman@medtronic.com>
Date: Fri, 10 Jul 1998 13:19:58 -0500
Since the worst of the oil burning and leaking now seems to be behind me,
I am considering having the MGA join the rest of the stable running Mobil 1
oil.  I know that the 5W30 I feed the modern iron is inappropriate but
15W50 may be just the trick.  I am hoping that it will help with the
freeway heat issues that I am now battling- the poor A doesn't want to run
75 mph all day-  and it is cheaper than an oil cooler.

The A now has 1000 miles on it since its mechanical facelift.  After
loosing a little over a quart in the first 200 miles the oil level has
stayed steady and it still looks pretty clean- I have to take my glasses
off to see it on the dip stick.   I have heard that you should wait until
the motor is broken in before changing to synthetic and I did my newer cars
at around 10k miles but I am thinking that now is as good of time as any
for the A.  Any opinions?  I know that it probably isn't cost effective but
this is the first car I've had in years that is performance limited in any
way by oil and I am dying to find out if Mobil 1 will make any difference.
Besides even the remote possibility that it may protect better over the
winter is worth a shot.  I expect the death of my original cam was hastened
by winter storage.  I know that airplanes that don't fly much eat cams.  I
can only assume that the same is true for LBC's.

Regards,
Bill Eastman
61 MGA driven daily for the last 3 1/2 weeks and continuous top down for
the last 2 weeks.  She's a happy LBC!