MGA - Coolant overflow and recovery -Reply

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net, bk996@freenet.carleton.ca
Subject: MGA - Coolant overflow and recovery -Reply
From: Matt Kulka <Matt.Kulka@hboc.com>
Date: Mon, 13 Jul 1998 16:05:25 -0400
You need a radiator cap designed for coolant recovery.  This will have a
brass valve in the middle of the sealing rubber - which has a very light
spring so that a very slight low pressure in the cooling system will
suck fluid back through the valve.

For any other car, you could go to an auto parts store and just get a
generic 7 psi coolant recovery radiator cap.  I'm told an MGA has a
deeper-than-generic neck in the radiator.  You could probably take your
cap down to a decent parts store and have them match it up with one that
has the proper depth.  Elsewise, an MGA owner may jump in here and help
you with a part number.

>>> "Eric R. Stephen" <bk996@freenet.carleton.ca> 07/13/98 03:17pm >>>
I scavaged a coolant overflow unit off a Mazda in our local recycled car
lots (junk yard).  I hooked this up to the overflow pipe on the radiator
neck hoping to avoid the constant loss of antifreeze I have been
experiencing from the moment I purchased the MGA last spring.  The
radiator currently has a 7PSI cap.  The coolant recovery system is
recovering fluid overflow but the system is not sucking the fluid back
into the radiator when the engine cools.  I have to physically remove
the antifreeze from the overflow unit with a turkey baster (dedicated)
and add it back into the radiator. The overflow tube was flared and
soldered on the neck end and is air tight (vacuum check). What am I
doing wrong??

Eric